Monday, January 14, 2008

ENMU-R ABE Student Runs for Roswell City Counsel


With what he calls a compulsion to run for office, 19-year old City Council candidate Timothy Dominguez said he thinks he has a shot at victory. Running in Ward III, the home- schooled, pro-union candidate said, if elected, his first priority would be to ensure that city workers get what they deserve. "I would have to look at the budget to see where the money is, but I wouldn't spend $850 on giant snowflakes to put up on main street when we could be giving that money to the workers which would benefit the city more," he said. "Our entire city infrastructure is on the back of city workers: our water, our sewer, our streets. Without them, the city wouldn't run."Dominguez said as a councilor he would be in favor of upgrading the Unity Center in Roswell or building a completely new structure. He said he could offer some qualities to the council that his opponent could not."If I say I'll do something I'll do it. I won't reverse my decisions as Judy Stubbs did when she voted against the unions years ago. She gave the word to our firefighters that she would vote for the Collective Bargaining Act, then when time came, she didn't."Stubbs was unavailable for comment Thursday.Promising to push for honesty in government while not representing his own interests, Dominguez said his education level should not concern voters come the March 4 municipal election."By the time the election comes around I'll have my GED," said the home-schooled candidate.Dominguez, who turns 20 on Jan. 13, plans to attend Eastern New Mexico University in the fall and is looking forward to the campaign.

No comments: